Saturday, November 14, 2020

FROM THE SPINE - JULY 2020 BOOK REVIEWS

July 2020


Welcome to July’s edition of my reading adventure. I need a name for it. Please think up your best suggestions. This month I have tried to incorporate feedback and some of my own new ideas. I added the media type that I used to read each book, and a preview list for books I am currently reading in case you want to read along. 


I didn’t get through as many books this month because I was watching the MLS is back Tournament and actually working at my real job now that my furlough weeks are over (for now). 


Here are the books I finished in July 2020 and my short reviews of them:


Fiction Books

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 

This very interesting book was originally authored by Mary Shelley as a Ghost Story in a small contest with her husband and another gentleman. As you may know, Frankenstein is the name of the scientist who creates a monster, not the name of the monster himself. So many Halloween costumes get this wrong. The story ends up being somewhat like the movie Inception- in several places, it is a story within a story, within a letter. Keeping the layers straight can be a challenge, especially as the story gets started. The story is deeply philosophical, and not written just to be scary. The arc of the story is really about the transformation of the young Frankenstein from a youth, to an ambitious scientist and creator of life and ultimately regretting his creation and his quest to destroy the monster he had blindly created. There is also a parallel arc of the monster’s development- his growth, learning of language and human history and tendencies, and his ultimate destruction of his creator. 


I recommend this to anyone who loves a challenging read or ghost story. 

(Rated PG-13, Score 8/10, Audiobook)



The Adventures of Peter Cottontail by Thornton W. Burgess

My mom recently gave me a 50lb box of books from our childhood reading days. I am going to read them to the kids in an attempt to brainwash them into loving reading like I do. We started with Peter Cottontail. The chapters are short so I have been reading one or two at meal times. Peter Rabbit spends most of the book hippity-hopping around the Green Meadow looking for food and trying not to be food for Reddy Fox. The other animals in the Meadow come in and out of his adventures and usually get a good laugh at Peter or Reddy’s expense. Some of the adventures have a moral aspect; some are just for fun. The next book in the series is The Adventures of Johnny Chuck. 


I recommend this book for kids and the young at heart. 

(Rated G, Score 8/10, Paperback)



Whittington by Alan Armstrong

I’m always listening for book recommendations. My “Want To Read” book list is always growing faster than my “Read” book list. My mom recommended this book recently and I found it in my library app which jumped it to the top of the list. Whittington is a stray cat- a talking cat who finds a new home in a barn full of animals who, like himself, have found the protection and kindness of an old man and his grandchildren. Whittington finds his place in the barn family of animals by working out a truce with the rats who were causing trouble in the barn. As the book progresses, Whittington the cat tells the barn animals a great story of his cat ancestors and a boy named Dick Whittington (for whom he is named). The book weaves together the cat’s story of Dick Whittington, the barn’s stories of the seasons, and the children’s stories of school and growing up. This is a story of how we need each other and of growing stronger through hard work, and how being kind adds value to both the giver and the receiver.


I recommend this book to anyone who loves talking animal books. 

(Rated PG, Score 8/10, Audiobook) 



The Sandman adapted by Dirk Maggs

The Sandman is an Audible Original production based on the graphic novels (comic books) written by Neal Gaiman. It's not a normal audiobook because it has music, sound effects, and many voice actors. There are 20 episodes and each one is unique. The series is dark and horrifying in places. I suggest not binge listening to them. I adjusted to one episode at a time to process the dark and crazy stories. The Sandman, Morphius, is the lord of dreams. These are stories about him and his powers. As you know, dreams are slippery and evasive things to understand and predict and remember; so are these stories. The Sandman interacts with many characters in these stories- humans, fairies, demons, lunatics, nightmares, death, desire, Shakespeare, and on and on. Some of these characters show up in other works by Neil Gaiman. This is the Sandman's story of imprisonment, revenge, restoration, challenges, and victories.


I recommend this audio production book to the brave adult who is not easily offended, scared, or prone to have bad dreams. 

(Rated R, Score 9/10, Audiobook)



Non-Fiction Books


As Many Reps as Possible by Jason Khalipa

Jason is something of a legend in the Crossfit/Fitness community and this book describes his journey and personal methodology for fitness, business, and life as titled. This is a small but challenging book. Each chapter ends with reader exercises (mindfulness and physical) that helped me engage with the materials. The AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible) mentality is made up of the following five disciplines:


1. Know your WHY – What is your great purpose? Knowing your purpose is the starting point for leveraging great motivation and efficiencies. 

2. Focus on what you can control. Everything else is a waste of energy. 

3. Work hard! Very simple, but difficult to live. 

4. Switch gears- be present. Live in the moment. 

5. Re-evaluate – Make sure you have a big picture look at your priorities and adjust as your life changes. 


As I worked through the reader exercises and read through the chapters which describe the disciplines above, I applied them in specific areas of my life. The physical exercises (workouts) allow for a mini-experiment for each topic immediately. This was super helpful and insightful for me. The work hard section resonated with me from my upbringing. My parents (especially my Dad) always taught us to work hard and give more than expected. There is no magic or shortcuts. Lot’s of things in life can be accomplished by starting early, getting dirty and working like you mean it. 


I recommend this book for those wanting actionable tools to face and overcome challenges. 

(Rated PG, Score 9/10, Hardcover)



Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington

This is a little hidden-gem of a book which I found to be super interesting and great for adjusting some of my perspectives on life, hardship, work ethic and race. It added a ton of color and perspective to the Post Civil War rebuilding effort that I had not been exposed to before. This is Booker T. Washington’s autobiographical account of his life. He was born a slave and emancipated as a youth as the Civil War ended. His greatest desire was to get an education. He made many sacrifices to this end. Eventually he left home to attend a school called Hampton where the school administrator General Armstrong raised him up to be a man of education, hard work, and invested in the betterment of all those around him. After graduating Mr. Washington endeavored to create a school in Tuskegee, Alamaba, where young people could learn trades, hard work, and many other useful skills like reading and writing and so on. Mr. Washington was a strong believer that each student should learn a trade and the value of doing hard work for the value it provides to the worker and to the community. He insisted that they build their own school buildings and grow their own garden and many other projects that propelled the school forward in the community. By learning trades at the same time as getting a book education the students were able to secure their financial futures by learning how to do things that people were willing to pay to have done. In today’s society we seem to value school for it’s own sake, rather than valuing the skills and work-ethic it should be creating in our students. Mr. Washington believed that with hard work and skill, a man would be valued as a citizen for his worth no matter his skin color. 

Ultimately, I found his perspectives, conclusions and personal policies to be extremely practical and applicable across all types of people. 


I recommend this book for everyone, especially those trying to better themselves and those around them.  (Rated G, Score 10/10, Audiobook and ebook)



Preview/Currently Reading-

Here are the books I am currently working on. Join me if you will:


Mission Critical (Gray Man #8) by Mark Greaney

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

To Hell With the Hustle by Jefferson Bethke

The Adventures of Johnny Chuck (Book 2) by Thornton W Burgess


I track all the books I read in a database called Goodreads. You might find it helpful in managing your own reading lists. 


Final Thoughts- 

The Sandman was by far the most challenging book I have listened to/read in a long time. It’s dark content and themes wore me out given all the darkness we are dealing with in the country right now. 

Up from Slavery was a surprising bright spot. It really resonated with me and it was my favorite book this month. 


Please reply with any feedback. I am interested in your thoughts on the email layout, reviews, style, grammar, books, and anything else you want to share. 


If you have suggestions for a name of this publication please text them to me right now-before you forget. 


If you are wondering why am I doing this, have a look at my June email. It gets into the details.


Thanks for the love and feedback.


Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment